Friday, February 11, 2011

Doughnuts

I actually made these awhile ago, but decided to post pictures still!

I decided to try some experiments. With this one, I used sugar and cinnamon, melted it in a pot and then using a tablespoon I poured it over some of the doughnuts. The flavour was good, but I shouldn't have boiled it, because it caramelized!
This one (The one in the back) I put sugar and cinnamon in a Ziploc bag (I would guess 2/3 sugar, 1/3 cinnamon) and put one doughnut in at a time, zip the bag shut, then turn the bag upside down, shake it, whatever it takes to completely coat the doughnut! Warm doughnuts work best, but if you can't get to it right a way, a few minutes under a high broil warms the doughnut nicely. Miss Dickens came up with this and I must say it's my favorite!

This one is plain, still tasty, but I prefer them with the cinnamon and sugar! :-)



Recipe:
3 eggs
1 cup sugar (Or 1/2 cup honey)
2 tablespoons shortening
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
3 1/2 cups sifted flour
1 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
Beat eggs until very light, beat in sugar, then add melted shortening. Sift baking powder, salt and nutmeg with 1 cup flour and stir into first mixture alternately with milk. Add lemon extract and just enough flour to make a very soft dough. Chill. Roll out 3/4 inch thick on lightly floured board. A soft dough makes light, tender doughnuts when cooked. Fry in deep fat (360-370 degrees F)and drain on unglazed paper. Makes 2 dozen.
Notes: I have never put nutmeg in. I also usually don't chill the dough, which I don't recommend, but it does work. After rolling out the dough (Which I also don't always do) I use a biscuit cutter to get perfect rounds, you can also make shapes, but they don't always turn out the way you put them in and I either use a tiny cutter (About the size of a dime) to get a little hole in the middle or I just poke one with my thumb.

1 comment:

Hannah Moss said...

Wow, three different kinds of donuts?! How fun- they look yummy too! :) I have made donut holes like your second donut, (with the sugar and cinnamon) and it was great, so sometime I should try doing it with whole donuts! :P